söndag 16 december 2012

Band-sizing dilemma, and a bit of bra history


When I begun buying bras, I learned, through size charts and from everywhere, that the band size on a bra should be the same, or rounded to the closest size, as my under-bust measurement  And that's very logic, isn't it?

So, to the dilemma: A couple of years ago I brought a bikini at "Change". On the label the size was marked as usual, but there where also the size a couple of other sizing systems, including the US/UK size. This was the first time I noticed the sizes in the US/UK system (I put this two systems together here, since they have the same system in band-sizing), and it didn't make any sense to me. Why?
The bikini was labeled 75 in Europe sizing and it was labeled 34 in UK/US sizing (It was not properly fitted the of course, but the saleslady actually said I could try a 70 band size, but I was afraid for the letter that would bring).
But, 1"=2,54cm --> 75 cm = 29,5", about 30". Why on earth was my band size 4 extra inches when I read it in English?????


A bit of a bra history: 

Women have during the human history probably found tons of ways to support their bust. Or as it's said in a Wikipedia article on the subject: "Women have used a variety of garments and devices to cover, restrain, or modify the appearance of breasts.The modern bra-size system first begun in the US during the 30's, when some companies started to use A-D cup for labeling bra-sizes. The band-sizing together with the cup-sizing developed (also in the US) after World War 2. Back then the ideal women in the U.S where an hourglass with 36"-24"-36" (91-61-91 cm) measurements. This affected the band-sizing somehow. They got the idea to add inches to the actual measurement, so women would get resulting measurements closer to this ideal. This does not make any sense at all in my eyes. I mean the ideal was about the bust measurement, and the band-size about the under bust measurement, but that's the given explanation on Wikipedia (search for brassiere measurement and you find a lot interesting. I've read it somewhere else too, but cant remember where).When this system later came to Europe the band size converted to centimeters, since that's whats used here, and the extra inches (centimeters) where skipped. In UK they used the same system as in the U.S thou. 

Summary and reflections: This 
is actually why my bikini had 4 extra inches in the English size from my actual rib cage measurement.
Of course I got used to the difference in Europe vs US/UK sizing later. But this leads to a weird thing!
Manufacturers in like US/UK mostly make bras to fit with the actual rib age measurement now, and there should be no added inches. Maybe bras where as loose back then too and the knowledge of good fitting bras where just worse back then, I have absolutely no idea. From the view of everyone with this perspective it just gets logic, to not have to add inches. But from the European perspective its not. When I buy my correctly fitted bras in a band size of 30, all of a sudden I have removed 10 centimeters from my rib cage, because that's a band size of 65!
I know we shouldn't be hooked up or judge on numbers, but feel and think for ourselves. But for me this breed that I feel totally fine with saying my size in the UK way, 30G, nothing weird, it matches with me, and how I see myself.. but to say it in the European way, 65G (or some other letter, there's often a lack of double letters in European sizing)! That just feels so weird, because it sounds like I should have a lot smaller rib cage than I have, it doesn't match to myself! 

I would like to se a change in the system, where the US/UK and European system actually matched up. That a, for example 30" band size just is the same as a 75cm band size. No one would need to abstract or add anything, because no one want to, and it gets so confusing. Perfect. If I make my own Lingerie brand some day, I would change the sizes to this =) 

Lingeriesyntax

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar